Costa

Report: Manchester United considering Paul Pogba, Douglas Costa swap

A report claims that Manchester United will consider offloading Paul Pogba to former club Juventus if Douglas Costa is offered in return. Manchester United have asked Juventus for Douglas Costa in return for Paul Pogba, according to a report. The French midfielder has returned to form since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer replaced Jose Mourinho as United manager in December, scoring four goals and assisting two more in four appearances. Despite his recent displays, however, Pogba is still said to be interested in a return to former club Juventus at the end of the season. According to the Tuttosport, the Serie A champions will look to pursue the World Cup winner again in the summer, and they could sanction the move of Costa in the opposition direction to ensure that they land their man. Pogba won four...

Report: Manchester United make £54m bid for Douglas Costa

A report claims that Manchester United have lodged a £54m bid for Douglas Costa, who is struggling for starts at Juventus. Manchester United have tabled an official offer for Juventus attacker Douglas Costa, according to a report. The 28-year-old has struggled for starts in Serie A this season, being used just three times from the off in Juve’s first 17 matches. Despite Costa only joining the Italian champions on a permanent basis from Bayern Munich earlier this year, the Brazil international could be on his way out of the Allianz Stadium in the coming weeks. Rai Sport suggests that United have lodged a £54m bid ahead of the January window as they are keen to strengthen out wide. Costa’s last goal or assist came in May, having failed to register in 16 club outings this term. Th...

Costa plays down 2019 Mercedes engine problem

Aldo Costa has played down fears Mercedes’ 2019 campaign is starting off with an engine problem. Aldo Costa has played down fears Mercedes‘ 2019 campaign is starting off with an engine problem. Team boss Toto Wolff said recently that there had been initial problems with next year’s engine on the test bench. “I think it was a bit misunderstood,” Costa, a Mercedes technical boss, told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “When you put a new engine with new concepts on the bench, there may be something that doesn’t work. But it’s nothing dramatic,” he insisted. Nonetheless, Costa is expecting Ferrari to challenge hard in 2019. “Ferrari will obviously be there to fight with us, and I am also expecting Red Bull, considering that they always speak ...

Atletico Madrid ‘identify Maxi Gomez as Diego Costa replacement’

Celta Vigo ace Maxi Gomez is reportedly a transfer target for Atletico Madrid, who are keen to replace out-of-form striker Diego Costa. Atletico Madrid will reportedly make a move for Celta Vigo striker Maxi Gomez in the New Year as a replacement for Diego Costa. Los Rojiblancos are on the lookout for a new goalscorer due to concerns over the form and fitness of Costa, who only returned to the club from a three-year spell at Chelsea in January. The Spain international has just two goals in 15 appearances this term and is now expected to miss up to two months with a foot injury. With Atletico well positioned to challenge for the title, Marca reports that Atleti intend to strengthen up top when the transfer window reopens. Gomez is said to be top of Diego Simeone‘s list of targets, hav...

Report: Diego Costa threatens to quit Atletico Madrid

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa is demanding a pay rise to bring him closer to Antoine Griezmann’s salary, according to a report. By Daniel Lewis, Football League CorrespondentFiled: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 18:31 UK Last Updated: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 18:33 UK Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa has reportedly threatened to quit the club in dispute over his wages compared to Antoine Griezmann‘s. The Spain international, who currently earns a rumoured £7m a year at the Wanda Metropolitano, has been in early discussions with Atletico over a new contract. Talks between the player and club are said to have turned bitter, however, as Costa is demanding to be paid the same as strike partner Griezmann, somewhere in the region of £17.5m. If Atleti do not keep parity...

Ex-Chelsea striker Diego Costa opens up on Antonio Conte feud

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa insists that he does not regret going on strike in his final days at Chelsea as he knew his time at the club was up. By Daniel Lewis, Football League CorrespondentFiled: Friday, September 28, 2018 at 23:36 UK Last Updated: Friday, September 28, 2018 at 23:36 UK Diego Costa has insisted that he “was very happy” at Chelsea but felt that he had no choice but to leave the club and join Atletico Madrid last year. The Spain international departed Stamford Bridge in September 2017 following a bitter falling out with manager Antonio Conte, who informed the striker via text that he was not part of his future plans. Costa initially went AWOL, weeks after playing a pivotal role in the Blues’ Premier League title success, before eventually being gr...

Juve’s Costa refuses apology to Sassuolo’s Di Francesco after spitting dismissal

The Brazilian can expect a heavy fine and suspension following his red card against Sassuolo. By Press AssociationFiled: Monday, September 17, 2018 at 17:41 UK Last Updated: Monday, September 17, 2018 at 17:41 UK Juventus star Douglas Costa has rejected calls he should offer a direct apology to Federico Di Francesco after he was sent off for spitting in the Sassuolo winger’s face, claiming “you do not know what he said to me.” Brazilian Costa is facing up to both an expected heavy fine from his club and also a suspension from the Italian Football Federation following the incident late on during Sunday’s Serie A match. The flash point came during stoppage time at the end of the game as Juventus saw out a 2-1 victory, with Cristiano Ronaldo scoring twice. Sassuolo had...

‘It was a bad mistake’ – Douglas Costa apologies for spitting in opponent’s face

The Brazilian’s red card overshadowed Juventus’ 2-1 win over Sassuolo, in which Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice. By Press AssociationFiled: Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 23:12 UK Last Updated: Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 23:12 UK Juventus star Douglas Costa has apologised but could face a long ban after spitting in the face of Sassuolo‘s Federico Di Francesco on Sunday. The flash point came in second-half stoppage time as Juventus saw out a 2-1 victory in their latest Serie A match, with Cristiano Ronaldo scoring twice. Sassuolo had just pulled a goal back through Khouma Babacar when Costa and Di Francesco squared up. Brazilian winger Costa already looked to have lost his composure after aiming an elbow and a headbutt moments earlier – but the worst was to come as he spa...

Diego Costa pulls out of Spain squad for “personal reasons”

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa pulls out of the Spain squad to face England and Croatia due to “personal reasons”, being replaced by Iago Aspas. By Barney Corkhill, Assistant EditorFiled: Monday, September 3, 2018 at 20:01 UK Last Updated: Monday, September 3, 2018 at 20:01 UK Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa has pulled out of Spain‘s squad for the upcoming friendlies with England and Croatia due to “personal reasons”. The 29-year-old had been included in Luis Enrique‘s maiden squad, but reports in Spain suggest that the reason for his withdrawal is due to his partner going into labour. Costa has been replaced in the squad by Celta Vigo forward Iago Aspas, who scored his first goal of the season against Atletico at the weekend. The likes of Jordi...

Diego Costa hails Atletico Madrid “cojones”

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa talks up the importance of his side’s UEFA Super Cup victory over Real Madrid and insists that they can beat anyone in the world. By Barney Corkhill, Assistant EditorFiled: Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 20:14 UK Last Updated: Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 20:14 UK Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa has insisted that his side are capable of beating any team following their UEFA Super Cup triumph over Real Madrid on Wednesday night. Costa netted twice – the first of which came after just 49 seconds – to drag the game into extra time, when Saul Niguez and Koke both scored to wrap up a 4-2 victory over the Champions League holders. The triumph was Atletico’s first European final win over their city rivals – having lost two Champi...

Diego Costa text “key” to Antonio Conte’s exit from Chelsea

A text sent by head coach Antonio Conte to Diego Costa is allegedly a key reason behind Chelsea’s decision to part ways with the Italian. By Darren Plant, ReporterFiled: Friday, July 13, 2018 at 13:45 UK Last Updated: Friday, July 13, 2018 at 13:47 UK Chelsea‘s decision to sack head coach Antonio Conte has reportedly come as a result of a text sent by the Italian to Diego Costa. On Friday morning, Chelsea confirmed that Conte had been removed from his position and former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri is expected to be named as his replacement. A report has suggested that a breakdown in communication is one of the reasons behind Conte’s exit and Sky Sports News have also indicated that last summer’s saga involving Costa was also considered. Conte is said to have sent a ...

Result: Switzerland through to World Cup last 16 with Costa Rica draw

Switzerland reach the knockout stages of the 2018 World Cup thanks to a 2-2 draw with Costa Rica in Wednesday’s Group E match at the Nizhny Novgorod Arena. By Giuseppe Labellarte, ReporterFiled: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 20:57 UK Last Updated: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 21:28 UK Switzerland have reached the knockout stages of the 2018 World Cup thanks to a 2-2 draw with Costa Rica in Wednesday’s Group E match at the Nizhny Novgorod Arena. Blerim Dzemaili opened the scoring just after the half-hour mark with a thumping close-range drive, only for Kendall Waston to level on 56 minutes with a deft header from a corner. The Swiss then surged ahead with just two minutes left through Josip Drmic, but Costa Rica were handed an injury-time penalty, just minutes after another spot ki...

Skip to toolbar