Share This Post

Blog / Burnley / Football / Leicester City

Result: Leicester City, Burnley play out goalless draw

Result: Leicester City, Burnley play out goalless draw

Leicester City are held to a goalless draw by Burnley in the club’s first home fixture since the death of owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha.

Leicester City and Burnley have played out a goalless draw in the first fixture played at the King Power Stadium since the death of Foxes owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha.

Both teams had their chances to win the game on what was a sombre afternoon in the East Midlands, but Claude Puel and Sean Dyche were forced to make do with a share of the spoils.

Leicester remain in 10th position in the Premier League standings, while Burnley are 15th but just a point above the relegation zone.

Tributes to Srivaddhanaprabha and the four other people who lost their lives in the helicopter crash on October 27 dominated the build-up to kickoff, but Leicester were able to start brightly with Wilfred Ndidi seeing a long-range strike tipped wide by Joe Hart.

The home side went close again on the quarter-of-an-hour mark through Jamie Vardy, who saw a shot cleared off the line by Matthew Lowton after Burnley had failed to deal with a cross from the right flank.

Burnley went up the other end and almost went ahead when Chris Wood was found by a low delivery across the box, but Kasper Schmeichel denied the former Leicester man down to his right.

Leicester remained in the ascendancy, however, and the East Midlands outfit again went close midway through the first half when Rachid Ghezzal powered a header against the crossbar after being found by Marc Albrighton.

Demarai Gray was the next Leicester player to make an impact in the final third, but Hart came out well to make a timely block from the winger after he had been teed up by Vardy.

Burnley grew more into the game as the opening 45 minutes drew to a close and Johann Berg Gudmundsson tested Schmeichel with a 30-yard free kick, but Dyche would have been relieved to get his team back in the changing rooms without going behind.

The Clarets went onto the front foot after the restart but it was Leicester who created the first opportunity of the second period, with Albrighton seeing a deflected shot from 14 yards blocked by Hart.

Leicester’s Wes Morgan was harshly booked for a foul moments later and the resulting free kick almost led to Burnley taking the lead as Ben Mee glanced a header marginally wide of the far post.

Jonny Evans saw a header kept out by Hart at the back post, while Wood should have opened the scoring for Burnley at the other end only to slice a volley over the bar from 12 yards out.

Substitute Shinji Okazaki almost won it for Leicester in added-on time but after the Japanese had headed marginally wide of the post, referee Mike Dean called time on the game as Burnley became the first time to stop Leicester from scoring in a Premier League fixture this season.

LEICESTER CITY (4-2-3-1): Schmeichel; Pereira, Morgan, Evans (Soyuncu 90′), Chilwell; Ndidi, Mendy; Gray (Okazaki 84′), Ghezzal, Albrighton (Iheanacho 60′); Vardy

BURNLEY (4-4-2): Hart; Lowton, Long, Mee, Taylor; Lennon, Cork, Defour (Hendrick 55′), Gudmundsson (Brady 65′); Vokes (Barnes 73′), Wood

Read Next:

PL Team of the Week – Sterling, Aguero, Richarlison


Share This Post

Skip to toolbar